Sunday, June 14, 2015

Just keep bouncin' -- Sardinia dance style

As our trip is coming to a closing, I can't help but be unbelievably sad. I've made so many great memories on this trip that I know will remember forever. I've also learned a lot through my school work and meet a bunch of awesome people. However, I still have one more day, so I will try and cherish it!

On Thursday, we had two guest speakers come and talk to us. The first, Giovanni De Giudici talked to us about the environmental impact of military testing in Sardinia. The second speaker, Giovanna Cappai, came and talked about her research, which was on waste-to-energy. 

After the speakers, were we given our assignment for the "Mock Town Hall meeting" we had on Friday. The Mock Town Hall meeting consisted of each of being assigned a role, and we had to argue given our viewpoint on the military testing in Sardinia. In the southwest of Sardinia, a large area is devoted to NATO military testing. From the testing, the surrounding civilians have been getting leukemia and various other cancers/illness's due to the military testing. However, no remediation of the land has taken place. I was a high schooler, eager about remediating the ground and returning the area to its former glory. 

On Friday, we had this Mock Town Hall meeting, and then we had free time to work on our third project, which we will be presenting tomorrow. Our third project is about implementing an RDF waste-to-energy incinerator in Boston, MA.

On Saturday, we had most the day off, so Erika, Lindsey, and me wandered around for a little bit. Then, we hiked at Sella del Diavolo, which was an old Roman lookout post near the ocean. On Sunday, we worked mostly on our project and then went to Orroli, were we saw a traditional Sardinian festival. In the parade, they kept throwing us cookies! I swear I ate about a dozen. Every time I finished a cookie, another one was thrown at me, and I couldn't stop eating them--they were so good! At the end of the parade, they carry a statue Saint Caterina into a church. Then, there was lots of singing a dancing! A older gentlemen grabbed me into the circle and tried to teach me the traditional Sardinia dancing style--it seemed like it was just a lot of hopping around!


All the ladies went out for a French themed dinner at Zoppasofia Wednesday night


A beautiful sunset


An interesting church Erika, Lindsey, and I ran across


The lighthouse on the walk to Sella del Diavolo


The Roman lookout temple


A newer lookout temple from WW2


The view to the water


The church at the beginning of the parade that held Saint Caterina

Saint Caterina that is carried at the end of the parade



The bulls carrying Saint Caterina


A quick execration to a Nuraghe (Sardinia ancient indigenous population) temple near by the parade




Horses in the parade! 


More horses


People throwing cookies at the parade watchers


Cute little boy in a decorated tractor


A band in the parade





No comments:

Post a Comment